Sunday, January 4, 2009

New Years

So, on the menu for the dinner party was
Main course 1: Potato and chick pea curry;
Main course 2: Curry with green beans, baby sweetcorn, onions, sugar snaps and garlic
Dessert: Banana split (with pineapple) and coffee/Tea

10 people came. we ate late, 7:30ish. It all went down well. We headed out to a night club (Il Covo) for a bit of bopping after but didn't stay long. I did get chatted up by a local girl called Amy who insisted I didn't have an Irish accent so I must be Dutch. Apparently the Dutch and Kenyans are very alike. I never did quite find out why.

For the next two days I didn't do much bar reading and cooking and cleaning and talking to friends and family on the phone. Thankfully I had my phone working again. The family stayed up till late at my brother Matt's house on Christmas Day. Everyone seems to have had a good Christmas.

The journey to Voi was uneventful. Spent most of it sending NY's text. After getting settled we bought some booze, collected some volunteers from the Nairobi bus, and on to Chris's gaff for the party.

It was an interesting dynamic as the African contingent were mostly men and the volunteer contingent mostly women. Chris hosted the party masterfully ensuring all enjoyed themselves. A dance off around midnight included a short piece of Irish dancing. My only excuse is that I had been drinking. I would have probably drunk more if my bottle of whiskey hadn't mysteriously evapourated.

The night ended with a brisk walk down the red hills of Voi to a warm bed.

After a day recovering it was time to get back to reality. We fought the travelling crowds and eventually made it back to Mombasa. I was anxious to get back to work and a daily routine.

M.


Cultural Learning
Homosexuality is still illegal in Kenya. Female Genital Mutilation is not illegal (even though Kenya is signed up to UN Human Rights bill). Neither is mentioned in polite conversation. Of course I heard both discussed at the New Years Party.











No I don't want my picture taken right now. (Lamu)










On the rooftop with the Canadian volunteers





















Me and Tali on the porch












Sending new year text. I look tanned in this but it is probably as much to do with all the red dust in voi.











The dance off.

2 comments:

RuairĂ­ said...

Hey there Mr Duggan - Happy New Year! Just been reading about your adventures teaching Irish in Bangkok! Christmas and New Year was quite similar here, even down to the menu (Potoao and Pea Salad with Honey and Vinegar dressing, Mixed Vegetable stir-fry, banoffi pie (sort of) and lots of booze, followed by an insane game of Twister. Muzungus can party too (actually, partying is not something Rwandans are particularly good at, to be honest). Great news from Chepstow, not so good from Dell - maybe not the worst time to be away from Ireland.......

Mike Duggan said...

Ruairi,
Caught up with your blog (http://roheithir.blogspot.com/ for anyone interested) during the week. Sounds like Alfred is giving you a hard time! But you seem to be enjoying the experience.

Loved the poetry bit "TO MATAR!" and definitely going to rob your idea on Newspaper clippings...I have seen so many bizarre and heart breaking stories.

Take care.