Monday, December 8, 2008

Getting Touristy

Dec 5th to 7th
Saturday morning I was up and out early. Time for my first real tourist outting, to Haller Park, a former Cement Quarry whose natural ecology has been restored (by a German lad called Haller). The wooded paths and scenic lakes provide a quiet and relaxing backdrop to feed Giraffes, and spot Crocs, Hippos, monkeys and gaint turtles. The lake is full of birds, like pelicans, crowned cranes and such like. Some of the fully grown male monkeys have bright blue balls. (Yes, you read that correctly.)

The ex-Amdahl boys had a caption competition with the last set of pictures I put up. It got me to thinking. There have been very few comments on the blog recently. So, I have decided to run a caption competition. I'll buy a pint for the best caption. Of course you'll have to wait till Oct next year, unless you come to Mombasa to claim the prize.








Sunday morning I went to Church. Down the Docks there is a Seafarers mission with an Anglican service, much like our services at home. I have avoided the local ones here as you can get pestered with all sorts, and the fact they go on from 9am-1pm. This service was 10-11. Afterwards, over free tea and coffee, I talked with an elderly Lady, Meg, who runs a Theology college and has been looking for ways to diversify their curriculum. We talked about IT skills, Business acumen and entreupeneurial support type courses. Meg reckons I could be very useful to her. I reminded her that I already had a very packed schedule but would think on what we had discussed.


The afternoon was spent in the Blue Room (icecream!) and in a terrace top bar...a real locals place. Diana, Emma, Abdu and muggins, caught up on the week and talked about plans for Lamu. It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!! Abdu, who was just two weeks here, was shocked at how apparent the poverty on the streets was, compared to Nairobi. The street is lined with beggers. Seems to be worse on Sunday morning. Mostly old or crippled people. One boy with no arms or legs had been placed on a corner. They always shout 'Jambo/Mambo' when a Mzungo walks by. I have no idea what Kenya's Urban poverty reduction strategy is. I have only read about rural projects. Maybe there is something Bombolulu could get involved in. I shudder to think what happens to the mentally disabled here. This morning a young woman stood naked on the main st in Mombasa remonstrating with an unseen nemisis. It was a disturbing site.


This time my Sunday trip home on the Matatu was fun filled. The money collector was a toe rag. He tried to charge me 40 bob. I laughed in his face and he got aggressive. I said, in Kiswahili, that I was a worker in Bombolulu workshops and that the price was 20 bob. Then he continued on to a young Lad beside me. The lad, maybe 16, didn't have enough fare. The matatu stopped and they had a kicking competition as he was thrown off. Just Handbags really.

Friday is Kenyan Independance day so a four day week ahead. Another busy week awaits...

M.

Cultural Learning
When going to Tourist attractions always carry your Kenyan ID card. The tourist rates can be 3 times the residents rate. It cost me 600 bob to get in Haller because I forgot mine. Doh!














Haller Park - Beautiful place.

3 comments:

APC is ace said...

Well done Mike, keep up the good work!! You're putting us all to shame.

I'd say visiting the Anglicans nullifies your good work to date so just cancel christmas and start earning those brownie points again ya spudless pagan f*cker!

If you're short on entertainment go to youtube and watch langerland

Mike Duggan said...

Dan,
Thanks for the entertainment tips!

I'm a permie here so there is no way I'm cancelling Christmas. Especially when I can spend most of it on the beach, or by the pool. 32 degrees C here today. Humidity is 70% though, which is a killer.

Hope the heater is working in that rust bucket of yours! I hear it's nippy there.

Mike.

APC is ace said...

Bogman cultural learnings:

Luga moja haitoshi


Yep the heater's ffantastig! Warms me up nicely as long as I'm in the car longer than 10 minutes, and it's not rust, it's a car beauty spot thank you very much.

The mango has feelings too :(