Friday, February 20, 2009

Work; Eat; sleep.

Last weekend was quiet. I wasn't feeling well so besides a trip to the bank to collect my ATM card I pretty much stayed in. One of the soccer lads called to the door to see if I wanted to play soccer on Sunday but I politely declined. There was a Muzungu tourist playing so I guess they wanted to balance the sides. The night before was Valentines but I normally ignore that anyways. It is as big in Kenya as at home with the women dressing predominantly in red, and loads of teddybears doing the rounds. At least the women folk are getting treated well here one day of the year.

At work we are planned for the new Jewelry Production floor Plan. I have taken up a Project co-ordinator role, have an implementation plan and all! But it has meant never ending planning meetings which has tired everybody out.


Wednesday evening was different. Makoa the office 'runner' kindly collected a package from the post office sent by Neal, my Irish mate in Canada. All the lads gathered around as I opened and I passed around the books, shared the music and films and papers/magazines. We all had a long conversation about films and music. I even got a packet of rolo's. I gave Nato my last one. It's OK it has no significance here . The Time magazine had The Big 'O' on the front so of course they were all mad to keep it. There was even a bidding war starting...so we agreed that it would stay in the office until everyone has read the Obama story. Most of them borrowed a book to read, in fact I lent most of the books I have read to Makoa. He loved 'Memoirs of a Geisha', thought it was the best book ever. That evening I happily whistled my way home and read for a very long time...Neal you are a legend of a man!

Since my last blog, Abdu's Dad invited us all out to Kikambala (a few miles outside Mombasa) for a BBQ. The family have a beautiful house (similiar to those in Lamu) with four floors each with ever more stunning views of the sea. His Dad spends the Summer months in Canada and lives in Kenya during the winter. He is a advisor (Political science) for the UNDP and the house was was full of books and winding staircases. His Dad stood captivated as he explained that Vasa Da Gama, the Porteguese explorer, would have sailed past here in the 15th century. Cool!


After a hour or two on the beach we sat down to what can only be described as a feast. All the volunteers and Abdu's Da's friends ate and drank with abandon. It was mighty. Later we were supposed to go out but after a few drinks we ended up just kicking back at my place with a bottle of Kenya cane.

Note to self: bring a bottle home for the brothers to sample.


Back at work the Kaizen "Vital few" is forming our way forward. Put simply, we are building the four pillars for future success, which are:


Culture: Motivate the employees to be stakeholders in Bombolulu's future, therefore more co-operative, productive and open to change...and Communicate! Communicate! Communicate! (note to self: speak slowly. Even when tired or excited!)


Finance: Financial goverance to encourage (ahem, enforce) cost awareness, cost effectiveness and accountability


Operations: Improve supply chain methods and controls ensuring on time delivery of quality products

Marketing: Explore and exploit all potential Markets Local and export, using all available resources (especially d'internet)


Oh ya, and every so often just kick back and enjoy ourselves.
M.


BBQ Pics









































































































Personal Learning
One of the first Kiswahili phrases I learnt was 'sina pesa', 'i don't have money'. You need it as you get begged at the whole time. One evening last week while walking to the workshop I was approached (well he wheeled his wheelchair) by a man I only vaguely knew. I said hello and when he stuck out his hand to shake mine, I took his hand. I was still in motion as I was planning a slow walking handshake. But the handshake developed into a grip hold and I was stopped in my tracks. 'I am hunry. Please help me'. I have trained my mind to think, be sustainable, giving handouts isn't sustainable. But before I thought, I had reached into my pocket and gave him what change I had. F*** it, I'm not heartless. I can teach him how to fish tomorrow.

No comments: