Monday, November 17, 2008

Busy out!

Have been getting around to all the offices and workshops asking lots of questions...my forte. The IT support guy is good so that has left me free to concentrate on looking at the Information Systems and process improvement. Because they are implementing KAIZEN all meeting are in the GEMBA (workshops), often very noisy and distracting but good in that it is very hands on. I have a list as long as my arm of things to do.

I met Paul when I was walking by the Cultural centre. He was with Edison, the gardener, and another lad in a Man Utd top, who asked if I wanted to play soccer. They had a training session that evening. They have a game every Sat and Sun. But not this Sat because Man U are playing Arsenal. The guy in the Man U top, Katana, was actually an Arsenal supporter. That's the way it goes here. I have declared myself a Man U supporter. Who knew eh!

I suffered through the warm up in the humid evening, although the actual game was grand. All the lads mostly under 25 so I'm glad I didn't make a fool of myself, even though a young lad of no more than 15 skinned me twice. The footballers are mostly sons of the disabled workers.

I've just had a cold shower (is there any other kind) and a vegetarian rice dish for dinner so feeling much recovered. I have to cook for myself every evening here so will have to learn a few more recipes. Rice, pasta, noddles, fruit and veg are my staples. Meat is a luxury, although the guy next door sells chickens (kuku) for 200 shillings (2 euro) a pop. One of the Ladies in the Craft Shop has promised to show me how to cook Ugali (local tasteless stuff made from maise), which looks like congealed rice pudding, with souesiqui (spinach like stuff I think).

The kids still shout Muzugu (white man) at me but most are realizing that I'll be around for a while and are making a real effort to make me feel at home. I find some of the evenings long but reading, writing and learning Swahili fills most of it.

Looking forward to meeting all the volunteers on the coast on Sunday...all 12 of us are meeting up to trade stories and drink a few bevvies.

Mike.

Cultural Learnings
Matatu drivers are just plain crazy. I think some have death wishes.

No comments: