Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Strike

I wrote a blog at the weekend and managed to lose it somehow. Needless to say it was full of wit and sparkling repartee. But now it so last week. Also Blogger.com is refusing to upload some pictures so I may have to put them on flcker. (got 3 pictures up only)

The weekend was good. Went out to Kilifi on Saturday to see Cocky's girls playing in Coast finals. Watched some of the under 13 girls play. Impressive talents displayed with one Maradonna style goal from a solo effort starting at the backline. Then got biked into Kilifi market on a back carrier. 30 bob (shilling) a go.

Spent some time relaxing in an old members club restaurant that has seen better days but has a great view over the river. On getting back to Mombasa, Diana and I went for a few beers and an cheap Indian dinner. Nice.

Spent most of Sunday chilling and doing a bit of shopping, a bit of clothes washing, a bit of cleaning. Proper house proud I am. Paul called around later. Apparently there was trouble among the workers. Some have been informed that are being moved to production because the shop and cultural centre are quiet. There was a sit-in in progress in one of the manager’s offices.
Tomorrow should be interesting.

I left the house at 8am. The shop was still closed. The Cultural Centre was closed. The jewelry workshop was closed. The workers were on strike. Thankfully the most of them were gathered around the APDK offices rather than the Bombolulu offices so I didn't have to cross a picket line or nothing. Head down, say nothing. Through out the morning there were impassioned speeches, all in Swahili, and then all the parties went into meetings.

The following day all the workers were back to work but there are still a number issues near the surface. By Kenyan laws the strike was illegal. There seem to be a number of political forces at work that I know very little about. Thankfully, management seems to be focused on employee education and is looking at ways to remove the "them and us" mentality. Time will tell. We will all need to pull together if Bombolulu is to survive and prosper.

Workwise I'm flat out. Monday I analyzed product costing data. There was steam coming out my ears by lunchtime. Spent Tuesday helping to draw up a floor plan for the new kiln for drying out wood carvings. Was in the kiln for over an hour and it was like doing hot yoga. (I only ever did hot yoga once, honest! It was a phase, i'm over it now.) Wednesday was spent putting down floor markings for the Stores and packing areas. I was so knackered by finishing time.

Then, off up to Nakumatt with me. Had dinner out. Chatted for the evening with Diana instead of doing shopping. I should really be getting things organized for the weekend. Chris is up from Voi and Abi is going to stay at mine as well. There is a VSO Coast volunteers meeting, and a big night out planned after. Might even be some dancing. All the discussion will be around Christmas and New Year's plans. There is talk of a trip to Lamu, an island to the North.

News from home is that the Uncle's horse won in Chepstow. My brother Paul has been working the horse so there is great family excitement. Last week Cnoc on Ein (Birdhill in Gaelige) won in Ireland. The Uncle's on a roll.

In Kenyan, my life has a bit of rhythm back now. It's nice after a so much change.

M.

Cultural Learning
Every formal meeting starts with a prayer. Christians and Muslims praying together. Most people routinely talk about their relationship with God in general conversation. I'd be classed as a liberal Christian (I blame the dancing).
















The view from my house











The Bird next door













Marking the Packing Area with Alex (standing)

No comments: