Monday, November 17, 2008

OBAMA, OBAMA!

Nov 7th

They are all delighted here that Obama is President elect. His father is from Nangza province, in western Kenyan. Today has been declared a public holiday. They are calling it Obama day. All conversations start with and end with talk of the first African (-American) President. Uganda has declared a 2 day holiday to celebrate it but as we all know they are a bit crazy (so say all the Kenyans).

So, I started the day with a lay in. Nice. Then I met Emma for lunch in Nyali. (Missed my stop so had to go to into Mombasa and come back out). A caffine/sugar fueled affair. Abi and Hannah joined us after a while. They are living in Shelly beach which is less developed and more rural than Nyali. (Mob justice is quiet popular there i.e. they burn thief's to death). Nyali is the main tourist area with white sandy beaches and a cool breeze. We let lunch settle while relaxing on the beach. Not long before one of the locals engaged us in conversation. Unfortunately you always have to be on your guard for chancers and con artists but some just genuinely want to talk and share the celebration of Obama day. This guy was a bit shifty so we moved on.

After a quick goodbye I headed back to Bombolulu (via Bamburi because of a thick headed Matatu operator who deliberately got me into the wrong Matatu). There was a football game just started...ould lads against young lads. (The pitch is 10 meters from my front door). I played the second half at right corner back. We won 4-3, and I was only responsible for one of the goals. After my shower I heard the doorbell go (well the door bell actually talks, “open the door” it says – must be set up for the hard of hearing). It was Kevin the electrician (centre back). He handed me a bottle of sprite. There was one for all that played. He waited while I poured the sprite, because the glass bottles would be sent for recycling, for a profit. The Sprite had the sweet taste of a good day, Obama day!

Had a call from Chris in Voi (my roommate from Nairobi). He is in Mombasa for the weekend and will be staying in my place. Time to get the beers in.

Mike.

Cultural Learnings
I don't remember learning anything today.

No comments: