Thursday, November 13, 2008

Karibu Mombasa!

So, I'm landed to the airport at 4:15am by the taxi after a memorable send off from my friends at the Instruments of Peace. I met a few of the other volunteers traveling out in Heathrow. They has the red VSO t-shirts on so were easily recognizable. From there we had an 8 hour flight to Nairobi, were we met more volunteers. We were now 7 in all, 1 Scot, 3 English, 2 Canadian and moi. We were met by VSO drivers and deposited at the Methodist Guest house (no smoking/no drinking!). The air was cool (19 degrees) and as we checked in it was explained by Lucy (VSO Kenya office) that we would have to share rooms due to budget constraints. I would be sharing with Chris, an easy going London boy. After a quick meal we collapsed in a heap. Tomorrow, Swahili lessons.


I was pleasantly surprised by the standard of the Hotel, equivalent to a 2/3 star in Europe. Our first )few days were filled with Swahili lessons (Jina langue ni Mike. Jina lako ni nani?). The grammar is straight forward enough with less exceptions than English, but unfortunately there is no word for Ireland in Swahili so I had to say I was from Ulingereza (England). Foreigners/tourists are welcomed here. Americans are very popular here as long as they support Obama, whose father is Kenyan. Obama fever has gripped the country and everybody is either directly related to him, or else their Grandmother lived beside his Grandmother etc... (His roots are originally with the Luo tribe of Nyanza province.)


So, I was getting to know the other volunteers. A good few were also heading to the coast. Emma and Diana, 2 English girls had already been in Mombasa 2 months so were able to fill me in more on what to expect...heat and humidity, suspect accommodation, packed Matatu's (mini buses, the main form of commuter transport). I couldn't wait!

(Picture of most of the coast volunteers>>>>>>>>>)






The Employers were due on the Tuesday evening but on Tuesday afternoon I was given a post-it. My employer wasn't coming till Wednesday afternoon and we were leaving first thing Thursday morning. There was an important review meeting in Bombolulu on Friday and I was expected to be there. I would be starting work earlier than expected. The fact that I had been flexible with departure dates so that I could attend the in-country training; and now would miss 2 days of it; and had been informed of this by post-it; had limited information as to why; and there was nobody who seemed to know were the VSO coast coordinator was; I let all this go. I could deal with the uncertainty; it was part of the adventure. (It did take a stressed half an hour to reach this conclusion).


Stephen Ondoro, the purchasing manager for Bombolulu arrived on the Wednesday. Nice chap about the same age as me. His wife lives in Nairobi but he had to go to Mombasa to get work. We had a VSO social on Wednesday evening and left on a bus to Nairobi at 9am the following morning. The road is under construction so the first two hours was fairly bumpy but the last 6 hours were smooth enough. The Bombolulu van (brings tourist from hotels usually) came to collect us in Mombasa central. Simon the driver and Mr Ng'ono, the HR manager were the first to welcome me.


From there we headed out towards Bombolulu with a stop off at the local Nakumatt (think Dunnes) for food and general household stuff. I was advised by Stephen on what to buy. I would be doing all my own cooking. I bought lots of noddles. (Note: Nakumatt is too dear for most Kenyans). Mr Ng'ono gave me his Nakumatt points card to credit the points I earned. I would need to get myself one of those.




By now it was late evening. The minibus turned up a long lane and passed a security barrier. We finally arrived, in darkness, to the Bombolulu compound. I was pouring with sweat. My African adventure had well and truly begun.

M.

Cultural learning:

Kenyans rarely curse, although it is perfectly acceptable for old men to tell dirty jokes. Proper order.

1 comment:

Majella O' Dea said...

Not like old women here telling the dirty joke. He he he!
I can't wait to be an old woman... (no smarty comment please).

Good on ya Murty, sounds great.