Monday, November 17, 2008

Deadly buzz

Nov 16th

Another hectic week. Spent the week trying to finish off all the half finished stuff I had on e.g. floor plan for the store room, request quote for point sale software upgrade, write up production timings and observations etc.

The engineering work had been done on the punch machine so me and the Kaizen PM, Alex, walked down to workshop to test it out. 2 hours later will were still taking it apart and designing a slide rule to minimize raw material wastage. The punch machine is used to make shapes out of coke/fanta cans for use in brooches and custom jewellery. Very satisfying work but not really what I was here to do.

I have had a number of conversations with the management and have agreed that in 2 weeks I will be focused fully on Information systems. For now I was to get an understanding of how things worked.

The week was over before I knew it.

Then Saturday, Shariq, an Indian volunteer was organizing a craft fair in the local polytechnic, so I went along to support. A number of the VSO volunteers were there with there organizations. SOLWODI (Emma), Moving the Goalposts (Cocky) as well as Camara, the Irish educational computer equipment supplier. A couple of others VSO’s also came to support the event. I spent most of the day doing social networking. The Camara guys had a great welcome for me…”Conas ata tu?”. I tried the keepy-uppy(or ball juggling) at the Moving the Goalposts stand but failed miserable in the sandals I was wearing. Scarlet I was!

Some of the VSO’s agreed to meet for dinner and the cinema after (Quantum of Solace). After a deliciously cheap Indian we went to a ridiculously expensive movie (Euro 4.50). One of the ads at the start was hilarious.
--------------------------------
“Having trouble paying your rent?”
Visual – Tenant getting a dressing down from irate Landlady

“Is your fridge totally empty?”
Visual – close up of empty fridge

“Don’t worry.”
Visual – Man worrying

“Pawn direct shop is for you”
Visual – Man with quizzical look, changing to cheesy grin

“CD players. Jewellery. Electrical equipment. Cameras.”
Visual - Man ransacking his house

“What have you got for me?”
Visual – Pawnbroker to Man

“How much will you give me for this?”
Visual – Man gives stuff to Pawnbrokers

“50,000 shillings”

“Get some cash in your back pocket”
Visual – Cash goes into Man’s back pocket

“Where is my rent?”
Visual –Man paying rent to previously irate Landlady

Visual – Man taking champagne from fridge

Visual – Man drinking champagne with Landlady and random friend

“Pawn direct- IT’S FOR YOU!”
Visual – Man with Landlady and random friend pointing at camera
----------------------------
By the end of the ad I was in a ball laughing. Whatever lad came up with that was neither a marketing or economic major.

The movie was good and after someone suggested a beer. After a quick one in Bob’s, a compound with blaring loud music, and Murphy’s Irish bar (yes I did, and no it isn’t) we moved onto Tembo disco. Anique, Diana, Emma and I danced our socks off . The girls got chatted up by various punters, mostly unwelcome and at one stage we were moved off the dance floor for an acrobatic show (preceded by the playing of a commercial – yes you guessed it - our friend the economic expert from Pawn direct).

Up in the bar area there was a sectioned off area called ‘lollipops’. The name was vaguely familiar. Then I realized were I remembered that name from. It’s the name of a famous Pole dancing club in Bangkok. The girls had a good look and got a great laugh out of it. I was too busy polishing my halo.

At 3ish we headed home; although the place stayed open till 9am. Deadly night out, but not likely to be a regular feature on VSO wages.

This evening I had my first guests for dinner. Paul, one of the Bombolulu tour guides, and his wife and son (5 years). We had a good laugh and I learned some Kiswahili and Muslin customs. I wrote this blog and now I’m going to bed. La La Salama (rest peaceful).

Mike.

Cultural learning
Kenyans dance like no one is watching even though they hope someone is.

2 comments:

APC is ace said...

Cultural Learning: Mike's blog can alleviate the Monday blues :-)

Sounds like you're having a blast! Fair play byt. Obama day sounds gas! Even the Germans are into it, some Connemara girls went to Munich and were mistaken for Americans (how?) and the Germans were like "we just wanted to congratulate you on electing Obama". The man's like the second coming.

As far the dancing, I've seen them at the international rugby 7's tournaments...hahahahaha. They look like they have so much fun though.

Remember, there's an old saying in Wales: Lllwyw ychw wllywylwch chch Katherine Jenkins, chwythu wylwyllwch wrnych go go goch.

p.s. Loving this text editor, it spotted I had 2 end tags and no open tag, chwarae teg (fair play).

Mike Duggan said...

I remember the saying well *bemused look*. I though you were Scottish though?

Only messing. Glad you liked the text editor, and the blog.